Past: Municipality of Pesaro
Present: San Bartolo Park Authority (since 1998)
The building has the classic characteristics typical of the buildings of the early twentieth century, with boxed windows, blind windows and molded cornices.
The building has undergone recent construction work and is therefore in a good state of conservation and is not formally protected to date.
The land for the construction of the school was purchased with act Rep. 9638 of 07/03/1933 and the school was built around 1935, with a masonry structure and a floor in reinforced SAP type joists. The building included on the ground floor a classroom with corridors, closet and latrine, while on the first floor there was the teacher's accommodation, consisting of three rooms plus services. After being used as a school in 1977, before being transformed into an exhibition site by the Park Authority, the building was used and assigned for social housing.
The tourist development of the towns of Santa Marina, Fiorenzuola and Casteldimezzo was decreed by the construction of the Panoramic Road in the years 1946-1950, which not only facilitated communications between Pesaro and Cattolica, but also constituted a job opportunity for many inhabitants of San Bartolo.
The term "Rive" refers to both the coastal line and the slopes that descend steeply from the slopes of the coastal hills, that is to say the whole coast between Gabicce and Pesaro, with a steep cliff eroded by the sea. These soils, mostly impractical, remain uncultivated until the late eighteenth century, i.e. until the strong demographic increase leads to the cultivation of less productive lands. In the twentieth century, Count Albani was the owner of Monte San Bartolo. The Rive were inhabited by the count's sharecroppers who lived in farmhouses until, like all other families, they left the land to go to work in the city. After the war, sharecroppers could count on a dense network of caves dug in the sandstone down the banks, to hide part of the harvest from the count and the farmer before the division. From the village of Santa Marina Alta and from Piazzale Hermitage you can enjoy a wide view of the Adriatic and the cliff, which reminds you of the time when the hill was cultivated up to the beach through the farmhouses.
The hamlet of Santa Marina is located on the top of a hill, from which can be explored a vast area of the sea. This is a small agglomeration of houses that remained populated despite the wars and calamities that have affected the area over the centuries. Once called Villa di Cuspisano, it was inhabited by a few families of fishermen and farmworkers. The first primary school in the village was established after the advent of the Kingdom of Italy, which succeeded the domination of the Papal States in 1860. Before the construction of the Panoramic Road in the 1950s, the Cypress Road ran along the ridge of Monte San Bartolo, which connected all the houses in the area. Over time, the area has been affected by landslides that have inexorably dragged cultivated fields and farmhouses towards the sea, including the famous social gathering of the Hermitage (located on Path No. 2 of the Cupa).
The building has undergone a recent transformation with the expected use as an exhibition venue. The goal is the revitalization of a space to host temporary cultural / artistic events in order to create new tourist cultural attractions, build and preserve the common memory in the Adriatic area.